Crunchy Tortilla Chicken with Avocado Dip
Crunchy Tortilla Chicken with Avocado Dip from the cook book, Bite Me by Lisa Gnat & Julie Albert. Serves 6.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips (not too fine, just crushed with your hands)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ -½ cup jarred jalapeno peppers, dried off and chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pit removed
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper and pound to even thickness, about 1/2-inch thick.
- In a large bowl combine sour cream, brown sugar, chili powder, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add chicken and toss to coat, cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine panko, tortilla crumbs, cheddar and chopped jalapenos. Remove chicken from marinade and coat each piece with panko mixture, pressing down so coating sticks well to each piece. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 20-23 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- For the avocado dip: Place mayonnaise, sour cream, avocado, lime juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a food processor. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Serve alongside chicken but if you're not eating it immediately, place avocado pit in the bowl to keep the dip from turning brown. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Dip yields 2 cups.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.