Southwestern Sweet Potato Fries from the cookbook Bite Me, by Julie Albert & Lisa Gnat. Serves 4.
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs (about 4) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick strips
Creamy Lemon Dip:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Whisk in olive oil, lime juice, sugar, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add potatoes, tossing to coat.
- Spread potatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Turn the potatoes over and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown all over.
- For the dip: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme and salt. Serve with baked fries.