Simply De-lite-ful: Chicken Baked in Cream
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Ah, we fooled you didn’t we? What wonders can be worked in the dedicated healthy kitchen. This combination of flavors is tremendous.
Delicious served with rice.
• 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, left whole or sliced into thirds lengthwise
• 1 cup flour
• 1 teaspoon celery salt
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• ½ teaspoon curry powder
• ½ teaspoon crushed oregano
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons butter substitute
• 1 ½ cups nonfat half-and-half or nonfat evaporated milk ½ cup nonfat sour cream ¾ cup sliced almonds, optional garnish Fresh flat-leaf parsley
• Preheat oven 350.
• Coat chicken breasts with flour, discarding any remainder.
• Blend celery salt, paprika, curry powder, oregano, salt, and pepper together with melted butter substitute and brush tops of chicken breasts using pastry brush.
• Arrange chicken breasts in single layer in bottom of a sprayed 9 x 13 baking dish. (Can be prepared up to this point a day ahead.)
• Pour half-and-half or evaporated milk between pieces.
• Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes.
• Uncover and spoon about ½ cup pan sauce into a small bowl with sour cream and mix till smooth.
• Adjust seasoning.
• Pour evenly over chicken.
• Sprinkle almonds, if using, on top of chicken.
• Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes more or until tender and cooked through.
• Remove to serving platter.
• Garnish with flat leafed parsley.
• Whisk remaining pan sauce or whirl in blender until smooth.
• Adjust seasoning. Pass with chicken.