Simply De-lite-ful Barley & Pine Nut Pilaf
You’ll enjoy the chewy nuggets of barley and the gentle bite of pine nuts in this fragrant and beautifully earthy dish.
• 1 cup pearl barley
• 2 tablespoons pine nuts (can use slivered almonds)
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• ½ cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
• ¼ cup minced chives or green onions
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon pepper
• 28 ounces beef, chicken or vegetable broth (can also use corresponding amount of reconstituted nonfat beef, chicken, or vegetable soup base)
• Rinse barley in cold water and drain through sieve.
• Spray a frying pan with nonfat cooking spray and lightly toast pine nuts, stirring frequently.
• Remove pine nuts from pan.
• Re-spray pan and add onions and drained barley, stirring until lightly toasted.
• Remove from heat and stir in pine nuts, parsley, chives or green onions, salt, and pepper.
• Pour into an 8 x 8 baking dish.
• Preheat oven to 375.
• In medium pot heat broth (or soup base and water) to boiling; pour over barley mixture and stir.
• Bake approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes or until majority of liquid is absorbed.
• Remove from oven and fluff with fork.
• Serve with a garnish of fresh flat-leaf parsley if desired.