This recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook - Serves 8
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 slices high-quality whole-wheat sandwich bread, torn into 1‑inch pieces
- 1 (15‑ounce) can black beans, rinsed and mashed (see note below)
- 2 pounds 95 percent lean ground beef
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed (see note below)
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine
- 1 cup shredded 50 percent light cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- For the meatloaf: Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375-degrees. Fold a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil into a 10- by 6‑inch rectangle, place in the center of a wire rack, and place the rack on a baking sheet. Use a skewer to poke holes in the foil every 1/2 inch. Spray the foil with vegetable oil spray.
- Whisk the eggs, broth, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl. Add the bread and mash together with a rubber spatula until the mixture is uniform.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly mash the black beans with a potato masher until no beans are left whole. Add the mashed beans, ground beef, scallions, corn, bell pepper, cheddar, and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro to the broth-bread mixture and combine with your hands until uniform.
- Press the mixture together into a compact mass, then turn it out onto the prepared foil on the wire rack. Press the meat to the edges of the foil into a tidy 1 1/2‑inch-thick loaf.
- For the glaze: Whisk all the glaze ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. Brush half of the glaze over the meatloaf. Bake the loaf for 20 minutes.
- Brush with the remaining glaze and continue to bake until the center of the loaf registers 160-degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 25 to 35 minutes. Let the meatloaf cool for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro over the top before serving.
Per 1 1/4-inch-thick slice: Cal 310; Fat 10g; Sat Fat 4.5g; Chol 130mg; Carb 20g; Protein 34g; Fiber 3g; Sodium 730mg
NOTE: Make sure to mash the black beans thoroughly, or the meatloaf will not hold together well. You can substitute 3/4 cup frozen corn for the fresh corn.