This recipe courtesy of Vegan Cooking for Dummies by Alexandra Jamieson, CHHC, AADP
- 1 1/2 cup soy or hemp milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup natural cane sugar (Sucanat or Rapadura)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons coconut, grapeseed or canola oil, divided
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a small mixing bowl. Set aside and allow to curdle.
- While the milk curdles, bring the water to a simmer in a small saucepan and whisk in the flax seeds. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, clove and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, orange zest, 2 tablespoons of oil, flax mixture and curdled milk. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour and stir just enough to combine and remove any lumps.
- Heat a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the frying pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the frying pan for each pancake. Flip over once the bottom has browned and bubbles start to appear on top.