Aglio e Olio (garlic and oil) Pasta
A romantic, Italian, peasant-style entree, perfect for a cozy evening together. Pair with a simple green salad and a fantastic, crisp, Pinot Grigio.
- 2 lbs. spaghetti noodles
- 1 cup olive oil
- 8 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Regiano cheese
- 1 cup croutons – smashed into course crumbs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Cook the pasta al dente and drain, saving about 1 cup of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, gently warm the olive oil in a large sauté pan, add the garlic and heat just until the garlic turns golden.
- Add the red pepper flakes and breadcrumbs. Sauté until lightly toasted.
- Set oil aside until pasta is drained. Place oil back on medium low flame and toss pasta, in the sauté pan, with salt until well coated.
- If the pasta seems dry add dribbles of the pasta water. Add cheese and just heat through.
- Serve immediately with a good grind of black pepper, and pass the grated cheese at table. I also like to have a cruet of olive oil on the table so diners may add a drizzle if they wish.