This recipe courtesy of The Cowboy Cook Jeff Tracy
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup smoked Gouda, grated
- 1/4 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-2 green onion stalks, finely sliced
- 1 cup lump crab meat (see note)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup half-and-half, creme or milk
- 1/2 cup pre-made garlic & herb breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Lightly grease a rectangular baking pan large enough to hold the chicken breasts without overlapping.
- Cut a slit into the top of the chicken breast, but don't cut all the way through. You want to create a "pocket" to hold the stuffing.
- Divide the feta cheese, bacon, green onions and crab between the six chicken breasts, stuffing them into the pocket you created. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the eggs and half-and-half and beat until well-combined. Gently brush the egg wash over the chicken breasts.
- Evenly sprinkle smoked Gouda over stuffed chicken breasts then sprinkle with bread crumbs until top of chicken is lightly covered, but not coated.
- Place chicken breasts in baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until center is cooked through. If top is browning too quickly, cover with foil.
- Serve with sauteed mushrooms and a spinach salad.
Note: This recipe tastes best with fresh or frozen crab, rather than canned. You can find it already picked in the meat aisle of your grocery store, or you can get a whole crab and pick it yourself. If you must use canned crab meat, be sure to rinse well to remove the flavor of the packing brine.