Simply Deliteful: Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes (about six 3-inch diameter potatoes)
- 4 ounces nonfat cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- t teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced green onions or chives (Optional)
- Scrub and quarter potatoes, removing blemishes.
- Place in a large pot, cover potatoes with water and lightly salt.
- Bring to boil and cook, cover and simmer until tender all the way through. 30-40 minutes.
- Start checking for doneness at about 20 minutes to avoid over-cooking.
- Remove from heat and drain water completely.
- While potatoes cook, in a medium bowl whisk together cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt and pepper until smooth.
- While hot, coursely mash unpeeled potatoes with potato masher,j leaving some lumps for texture--do not-over mash or they become gluey.
- Stir in cream cheese mixture and green onion or chives. Add a touch of nonfat milk if needed for moistness.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.
- (Potatoes may be peeled before cooking,if you prefer. We like the more rustic look and texture of the unpeeled potatoes, however.)
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.