Amy Roloff's Farm Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, about 1 inch diced (3 - 5 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, tops removed and if large cut in half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 Tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup quick cooking (not instant) oats
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut up
- Whip topping or vanilla ice-cream
Preheat oven 350
For fruit mixture:
- Toss the rhubarb, strawberries, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and the orange zest together in a large bow.
- In a measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and then mix it into the fruit.
- Pour mixture into an 8x11 (if 9x13 adjust cooking time) baking dish and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
For the crisp topping:
- In a bowl combine flour, remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and oatmeal (I sometimes add chopped up walnuts or almonds).
- Cut in the butter until it resembles small crumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it completely and bake for about 1 hour (shorter if using a 9/13 dish by about 5 - 8 minutes) until fruit is bubbly and topping is a nice golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream.