This recipe courtesy of Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love by Sarah Matheny
Tempeh Bacon Reubens
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 package tempeh bacon (i.e. Lightlife Fakin’ Bacon)
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance), melted
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1 cup non-dairy Swiss or mozzarella (i.e. Daiya mozzarella shreds) or organic Swiss cheese slices
- 1 1/3 cups sauerkraut
Thousand Island Dressing:
- ½ cup non-dairy or organic mayonnaise (i.e. Vegenaise)
- ¼ cup organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Prepare tempeh bacon according to package directions and set aside.
- Melt vegan margarine and lightly brush onto one side of each slice of bread.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup and relish and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Put one slice of bread, margarine side down in the bottom of the skillet.
- Top bread with ¼ cup or slice of cheese of your choice, and then 1/3 cup of sauerkraut. Break three slices of tempeh bacon to fit on bread and then place on top of sauerkraut.
- Put a generous 2 tablespoons of dressing on the non-margarine side of another slice of bread and put it face down on top of the bacon.
- Grill sandwich for several minutes on each side, until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. Repeat for remaining sandwiches.