Arroz con Pollo: This recipe courtesy of Stephanie Allen, co-author of The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
Equipment: 9 x 13-inch baking dish
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 6 boneless skinless chicken cutlets (or 3 breasts cut in half)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup sliced red pepper
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Prepare the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the rice over the bottom of the baking dishes. Layer the beans, corn, and chicken over the rice. Sprinkle garlic salt and pepper over the chicken. Set aside.
- Combine the chicken broth, salsa, spaghetti sauce, red peppers, scallions, cilantro, cumin and minced garlic in a large mixing bowl. Spread the marinara sauce mixture over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce.
- At this point, you can freeze or cook the dish. If you’re going to freeze, thaw completely before the next step.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Bake, uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes or until internal temperature of the chicken breasts reaches 165-degrees F.