Serves 4-8, 20 minutes prep time.
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 whole Moroccan Preserved Lemon, pulp scraped away and rind cut into 1/8-inch dice (if not available, use the grated zest of 1 lemon and the chopped pulp of 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika (Hungarian or Spanish)
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 4 tablespoons of good-tasting extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups of 1-inch chunks of chewy bread
- 1 lb. cooked green beans cut into 2-inch length
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 medium delicious ripe tomatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup salted whole almonds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Make the dressing: Combine garlic, wine vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Combine the fennel seed, paprika and allspice in a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle and grind very fine. Transfer the mixture to a small microwave-safe bowl, add the oil and microwave on high power for 45 seconds. Blend into the lemon mixture and set aside until needed.
- Assemble the salad: In a serving bowl, gently combine the dressing with the bread chunks, green beans, yellow pepper, tomatoes and almonds. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve at room temperature.