This recipe courtesy of The Cowboy Cook Jeff Tracy
Okay, okay, it’s fall and the temperature has dropped a bunch and we are looking for comfort food. Here it is. This is a great cold day meal. I also recommend this for Thanksgiving and Christmas when you want to feed the troops but not stuff them the day of a big holiday meal.
Feed them a bowl of this with a home made biscuit and that should tide them over until the afternoon/evening feast. Make it the day before and keep it in the fridge until you need it.
- 2 1/2 cups half & half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds round steak (or use what beef you have on hand)
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2-3 oz water chestnuts (sliced)
- 2 large russet potatoes diced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian blend seasoning
- Cut the round steak into small cubes. Add oil to the bottom of a soup pan and heat on medium high. Add meat and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- After mean is well-browned, (a few minutes) add chopped yellow onions and mushrooms. Season with additional salt, pepper, plus garlic and Worcestershire sauce. You want to cook this portion until the mushrooms start to become soft and the onions opaque.
- Pour in the beef and veggie stock and bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a medium and add the potatoes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the potatoes until soft. This should take about 25-30 minutes. Mix corn starch with a little of the half & half until well-blended and without lumps. Add to the soup pot and mix it in.
- At this point add the remaining half & half, along with the Italian seasoning and the Parmesan cheese. Just prior to serving, garnish with the chopped greens onions for color.
This should make 5-7 servings