The Ultimate Apple Pie
The Ultimate Apple Pie -- and Then Some Courtesy of Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg, authors of The Flavor Bible (Little, Brown; September 2008)
Courtesy of Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg, authors of (Little, Brown; September 2008)
2 Braeburn or Granny Smith apples
1) Peel, core and slice apples keeping each variety in separate bowls.
2) To each of the apple bowls, add a dash of lemon juice, pinch of salt, cinnamon and sugar. Toss the apples well to coat them.
3) Place one piecrust in an 8-inch pie pan.
4) Layer the Granny Smith/Braeburn on the bottom of the pie followed by the Gala/Golden Delicious and top with the Jonathan/McIntosh.
5) Top the apples with butter.
6) Cover apples with the other piecrust and seal. Cut four vents into the top of the piecrust.
7) Bake in a 350-degree oven until apples are soft, about 40 minutes. Test for doneness by carefully poking them through the pie vent.
8) Let cool.
9) Serve with whipped cream flavored by one of the following: Bourbon, Calvados, maple, orange or vanilla.