Chef Boyd Holliday from McCormick & Schmick's Harborside at the Marina restaurant has shared three light appetizers with us: Seafood Martini, Black Mussels Steamed in Red Curry Sauce, and Ahi Tuna rare appetizers. Visit the Web site, www.mccormickandschmicks.com
, for locations.
Seafood Martini5 cups peeled, seeded and 3/8" diced tomatoes
1 cup sliced black olives
1 cup yellow onions 3/8" diced
1/2 cup celery 3/8" diced
2 cups swordfish or other trim 3/8" diced
1 cup bay shrimp
1 cup bay scallops
1 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
4 1/2 cups Bloody mary mix
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp black pepper
1. Sweat celery, ionion and garlic together and let this mixture cool.
2. Blanch swordfish and scallops. Do not overcook.
3. In stainless bowl add bloody mary mix together and whisk in olive oil.
4. Fold in all other ingredients together using a kitchen spoon.
Black Mussels3 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp red curry paste
2-27 oz. cans coconut milk
1 Tbsp butter, clarified
1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp shallots, chopped
12 oz. black mussels
1/4 cup roma tomatoes, 1/2" diced
3 oz. chicken stock
4 oz. curry base, prepared
1/2 oz. lime juice
1. Saute curry paste in hot oil.
2. Add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Set aside.
To prepare appetizer:
1. Saute garlic and shallots in butter.
2. Add mussels and tomato. Toss well.
3. Add chicken stock, curry base and lime juice.
4. Cover and steam until mussels are open.
5. Pour mussels into pasta bowl and arrange with open end facing up. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Ahi Tuna rare appetizer2 1/2-3 oz. yellowfin tuna
To Coat: Cajun spice
1 1/2 oz. soy sauce
2 tsp wasabi
1 Tbsp pickled ginger
1/4 cup Asian cucumber salad
1 sprig parsley
1 set chopsticks
1. Dust tuna with Cajun spices and sear in blackening pan very quicly (5-10 seconds) on all sides.
2. Carefully slice into 5-6 pieces and fan out on plate.
3. Place ramekin of soy sauce on top left of plate.
4. Place cucumber salad on top right of plate.
5. Place picked ginger to right of wonton cupo.
6. Pipe Wasabi through pastry bag next to ginger.
7. Garnish with parsley sprig.