This recipe courtesy of Cooking with the Seafood Steward by Gary Puetz.
This slice of heaven has been known to cause quickening of the heart and glowing of the soul. Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate (at least 62 percent cocoa), broken into very small pieces
- 1 cup clarified butter
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup Triple Sec
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- Combine the chocolate with the clarified butter in a double boiler. Do not allow the water to boil or to touch the top of the pan. Combine and thoroughly blend the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl until the sugar and espresso have dissolved completely.
- While the chocolate melts, lightly butter the sides and bottom of a 9 by 2-inch round cake pan, and line the bottom with wax or parchment paper. Butter the paper as well. When the chocolate and the butter are well blended and have cooled to the touch (but are not yet cold), combine with the egg mixture and stir slowly. Avoid whipping air into the batter because this will cause bubbles that will spoil the texture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, cover tightly with foil and place the pan into a hot water bath. Place both into the center of the oven. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.