Meema's Upside Down Cornbread Cake
For the cornbread:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 (12-ounce) can maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup brandy
- Whipped cream, for serving
- 1 (9-inch) cast iron skillet > >
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, heavy cream, eggs, butter, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In the cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add sugar and butter and let melt. When melted, remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Be sure to place maraschino cherries evenly throughout.
- Pour in batter and smooth top with a spatula. Bake 25 minutes, until cornbread is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- To serve: place a platter over skillet and invert cake. It should slide out easily. Slice into wedges and serve warm with whipped cream.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.