Romantic Valentine's-Day Meal: Roasted Chicken w/Herbs
- 1 4-lb. chicken, whole
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Greek oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and fresh course ground pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 leaves fresh sage
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Wash chicken under cold running water in a colander. Cut off any excess fat around tail including tail and around nect and wing tip.
- Combine lemon, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and petter in a bowl with a whisk to make a rub.
- Apply rub evenly all over and under the skin with your hands.
- Put thyme, sage and rosemary in chicken cavity and cover with plastic film. Leave out for 30 minutes to take the chill out to cook more evenly.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add 2 inches water to a roasting pan and place a flat rack on top of the pan. Place chicken on rack, breast-side down, and set pan on bottom 1/3 in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes. Turn chicken best-side up and cook until internal temperature reaches 145 F when checked with an instant-read thermometer inserted half way in the thickest part without touching any bones. Skin should be crispy, drumstick should separate easily from leg, about 1 hour and 25 minutes.
- Pull from oven and let set for 10 minutes to redistribute the juices. Cut up with a sharp knife at the joints. Place in a serving platter and pour sauce evenly on top. Serve with rice pilaf, roasted potatoes or pasta.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.