Romantic Valentine's-Day Meal: Baklava w/Chocolate
Makes 24-36 Pieces
- 4 C walnutes or almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1-lb fillo, fresh or thawed out
- 1 C clarified butter, warm
- 4 C syrup, pre-made and chilled
- 1/2 C unsweetened baker's chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Combine nuts, cinnamon and cloves in a bowl.
- Unfold fillo sheets onto a work surface. Cut them in half on the short side to make 8 1/2-inch sheets. Cover with plastic film.
- Stack 2 sheets on top of each other, first brushing each sheet on top with butter. With your hand, sprinkle enough nut mixture to loosely cover top of fillo leaving an empty border 2 inches from far side and 1/2 inch from 3 other sides. Fold sides of fillo over nut mixture. Starting with the near end, roll away from you jellyroll style. Lay a 3rd sheet of fillo on work surface. Brush the top with butter. Put the roll you just finished seam side down on the end near you. Fold sides over and roll jellyroll style as before. Brush outside with butter and cut into 3 or 4 equal pieces. Place them in a baking sheet nexxt to each other but not touching.
- Repeat with remaining fillo and nut mixture.
- Bake in middle oven until golden brown on outside and crispy on inside, about 30 minutes.
- Pull from over and dunk them in a chilled syrup submerging them with a slotted spoon to soak syrup. Remove from syrup with your fingers submarine style and place on cooling racks with a pan underneath to drain. Let cool.
- Melt chocolate in a couble boiler until smooth.
- Spoon it in a piping bag fitted with a small fluted tip and squeeze chocolate on top of rolls in a decorative design or dip 1/2 of roll into melted chocolate.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.