Chocolate Pot de Creme with Candied Rose Petals
- 3 & 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- unsprayed rose petals
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten or powdered egg whites
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Place cream, chocolate, sugar, salt, and espresso powder into a double boiler and cook until simmering, but not boiling.
- Whisk egg yolks lightly, in a separate bowl, and temper with a bit of the chocolate mixture; when egg yolks are warmed, gradually return them to the double boiler and cook, stirring, over simmering water until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and pour into 4 pot de crème pots or small custard cups; cover with plastic wrap and let cool; then refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours or overnight; remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
- Optional Garnish: To make the candied rose petals, gently brush each petal with egg white or powdered egg white mixture; sprinkle with sugar; place on cake rack and let dry for about 2-3 hours.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.