- 1 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 3-4 cups fresh basil leaves, firmly packed
- 1 cup Asiago cheese*, shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
*Although Parmesan cheese is traditionally used in Basil Pesto, Asiago adds a milder, "nutty" flavor.
- In a large food processor, combine the ingredients in the order shown, processing each item until well-blended before adding the next item.
- You can add this Basil Pesto to your favorite, freshly-cooked hot pasta and toss. Refrigerate the unused portion in a tightly-covered container for a week to ten days or freeze the remainder for up to six months.
- For something a little different, try subsituting 1 1/2 cups chopped sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil for a like amount of Basil leaves. Add them to the food processor at the beginning just after the olive oil. Try it on crostini, bruschetta or pizza. Enjoy with a nice Chianti or a cold glass of your favorite brew.