Yield: 4 sandwiches Preparation Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 10 min.
1/2 cup low-sodium chili sauce
1. In a small bowl combine chili sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, spices, vinegar, and oregano. Mix well. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Saute onion, celery and garlic for 5 minutes. Add ground meat, let brown for 5 minutes. Drain excess oil.
3. Combine browned meat with spice mixture, cooked brown rice and scallions and mix gently.
4. Spread each side of the bun with a tablespoon of hummus. Spoon about 1 cup of the meat mixture onto one side of the bun. Top with the other bun. Cut in half.
Note: Substitute tofu or tempeh for the turkey or bison in order to make the meal vegetarian.
Yield 2 1/2 cups
1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1. Place chickpeas in food processor. Puree coarsely.
2. Add lemon juice, tahini, cilantro, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Process. Add lemon juice to thin if necessary.