This recipe courtesy of Ken Hoyt, Ken Hoyt Style. For more great recipes, visit his website.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbls. sugar (omit for savory pie)
- 1 1/2 tsps. salt
- 1/2 cup Canola oil
- 2 Tbls. whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Combine all the flour, sugar and salt and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl combine the Canola oil and whole milk and whisk together, immediately add the oil to the dry ingredients mixing thoroughly.
- The mixture should stick together. You may add some additional oil, one tablespoon at a time, if it’s still crumbly.
- Smash the pie dough into pie pan, pressing it into shape with your hands. You may use the bottom of a smooth glass or measuring cup to “iron” the dough flat. Flute the edges (make a foil collar for the edge if it browns too soon).
- For a pie shell bake the crust in a 375° oven for 12 to 15 minutes. You may also use the crust as directed in the pie recipe.
- Baker’s tip: Nobody likes a soggy bottom crust. For pies with wet fillings (quiche or juicy fruit) you can pre-bake the crust for 7 to 10 minutes. Then add the filling and finish baking.
Makes dough for one 9” pie pan