Mo's Famous Clam Chowder
Directions* Drain clams and set aside.
* Saving the nectar to make 3 1/2 cups (add water if necessary). Place in 4-quart pot.
* Add potatoes and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and turn to low heat to cook potatoes until soft but not mushy. (About 7 min)
* In a medium sized skillet, over medium heat, start browning the bacon stirring to brown evenly. Watch not to burn. When the bacon begins to get a little crispy and has rendered its fat, add the onion and continue stirring until onion is clear.
* Add 1 T. butter or margarine to bacon and onions deglaze the skillet. Add the flour and stir constantly to incorporate.
* Add chopped clams to potatoes and milk pot. Heat to VERY hot. Do NOT boil.
* Bacon and onion roux mixture should be bubbling, add to potato and clam pot and stir to mix well with wood spoon.
This will become thick and creamy. If too thick, thin with a little milk or cream. Correct seasoning if needed.
Chowder is very good made a day ahead and reheated in a double boiler or crock pot, thin with whole milk or cream.
To dress up your chowder add shrimp or crab to the top and enjoy.
You can also by Mo's Famous Clam Chowder base where you only add milk to the recipe or the complete chowder online click here
Learn more about "Mo's on the Waterfront" by clicking here.
Mo's Restuarant and Famous Clam Chowder are at these locations: