Butternut Squash Risotto
This recipe courtesy of Chef Tse
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed from a 1 1/2 pound squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups or more low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup Aborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butternut squash and sauté until squash begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup broth, cover and simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Place squash and broth in a blender of food processor and puree until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a bit of water until puree resembles thick cake batter. Set aside.
- Warm remaining chicken stock in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in a second medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, but not brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add risotto and sauté until it turns translucent and absorbs part of oil. Pour in wine, stirring until absorbed by rice, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add one cup of broth, lower heat to medium and simmer until broth is almost completely absorbed by rice, stirring often. Repeat two more times.
- Once rice has absorbed 3 cups of broth, mix in 1 1/2 cups butternut puree (reserve remaining puree for another use) and Parmesan. Cook until rice is al dente but still creamy, another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.