Spiced Cranberries in Cabernet
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 1 orange, preferably seedless
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, picked over for stems
- 1 8oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, partially drained
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- Combine sugar and wine in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let it cook for about 5-10 minutes. Cut orange in half and stud each half with a clove. Squeeze juice from orange into the pot; then add the orange halves. Stir in cranberries, pineapple, and cinnamon stick, and bring back to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil gently until berries just begin to burst, 45-60 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool to room temperature. Discard orange, cinnamon, and cloves (and any orange seeds.) Place into a serving bowl and serve at room temperature or for later use transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until cold. Keeps 2 weeks. Makes about 3 cups.