- 6 medium Russet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 4 Tbls. salt (for cooking water)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, cut-up
- 2 Tbls. butter, divided
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup half & half
- 2 Tbls. fresh chives, minced
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Cook, covered, in boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer at low speed. (Be careful not to over beat, as the potatoes can become gluey.)
- Mix in the sour cream, and cream cheese. Then add 1 tablespoon of the butter and white pepper. Gradually beat in enough of the half & half to make smooth and fluffy.
- Turn into a lightly buttered 1 1/2 -quart casserole. Cut the remaining butter into small chips and dot the surface. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- To serve, microwave, covered, on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated, stirring once. Sprinkle with fresh chives and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
(Adapted from "Better Homes and Gardens New Casserole Cook Book")