BLACK EYED PEAS & RICE (Hoppin’John)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup bacon fat
- 1 large ham hock
- ½ pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup each of green and red peppers, chopped
- 1 pound black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed or 2 16 oz. cans of black eyed peas
- 1 cup uncooked long-grained white rice (soak for 5 mins in cold water before adding to pot)
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1 clean dime (10 cents)
- 1 tablespoon D’Empress Special Seeznin’
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- Lousianna Hot Sauce or Tabasco to taste
- Heat olive oil and bacon fat in a large cast iron pot or soup pot,
- add the ham hock and sear on all sides for 4 minutes.
- Add the smoked sausage, onion, green and red peppers, and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas, stock, uncooked rice, bay leaves, thyme, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the peas are creamy and tender, stir occasionally. If the liquid evaporates, add more water or stock.
- Adjust seasonings, and garnish with green onions and “Lousianna Hot Sauce” or Tabasco.
D’Empress Special Seeznin’:
- 1 cup salt,
- 1/4 cup black pepper,
- 1/4 cup garlic powder.
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.