From the kitchen of Chef Tse
- 1 whole chicken, about 5 pounds, cut into 8 pieces, bones chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 branch celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup white onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled smashed with your palm
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 10 Kalamata olives, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add bones and brown well on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrot, celery, onion, and garlic, and brown with bones.
- Deglaze pan with white wine, scraping up any brown bits.
- Reduce until only a tablespoon remains, then add the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil and pour into slow cooker.
- Mix together flour and paprika in a shallow dish.
- Coat chicken with flour, patting off excess.
- Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and brown lightly on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Nestle chicken pieces in sauce in slow cooker.
- Cook on low 8 hours.
- Using tongs, remove chicken from slow cooker and set aside.
- Strain the sauce through a fine mesh sieve, pushing down on solids to release juices.
- Discard solids.
- Add thyme, rosemary, tomatoes and olives to sauce.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon over chicken and serve hot.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.