Southern Carolina Pulled Pork
Adapted by Chef Tse from a recipe by Andrew Schloss in Art of the Slow Cooker
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Allspice
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 3 pound boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- In a small bowl, mix together pepper, salt, Allspice, garlic, paprika, chili powder and 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Pat spice mixture into all sides of pork shoulder.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oil in a medium stainless steel skillet over medium heat.
- Add pork shoulder and brown lightly on all sides.
- Place pork in slow cooker.
- Return pan to heat and deglaze pan with apple cider vinegar and remaining brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil for one minute, then pour over pork.
- Cook on low in slow cooker 8 hours.
- Remove pork from sauce and shred meat with two forks.
- Pour sauce over pork and serve.
- If you like a thicker sauce and not so much fat, pour sauce into a gravy separator and let stand five minutes. Pour juice, minus fat, into a small saucepan. Boil sauce until it reached desired consistency.