Three Bean Chili
From the kitchen of Chef Tse
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground sirloin, 5% fat
- 2 cups dry red wine, such as Cabernet
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chili beans with liquid
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained well
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained well
- 2 15-ounce cans chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 2 medium jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, heat olive oil until almost smoking.
- Add onions, garlic and thyme and cook until onions begin to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Place onions in bottom of a slow cooker. In same pan, add ground beef and break apart with a spatula.
- Brown beef well and add to onions.
- Pour off any fat from pan and place back on stove.
- Add wine and bring to a boil, scraping any brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Boil wine until reduced by half. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Turn slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- If a thicker chili is desired, remove the lid during the last hour of cooking.