Pan Seared Salmon with Citrus Salad
From the kitchen of Chef Tse
- 2 large oranges
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-sized strips
- 4 springs cilantro, chopped
- 5 large basil leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 4-ounce salmon filets with skin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Using a pairing knife, remove peel and white pith from oranges and cut into segments and place in a medium bowl.
- Add onion, pepper, cilantro, basil, ginger, orange peel, and sesame oil.
- Gently toss ingredients together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let stand for one hour at room temperature for flavors to marry.
- Season salmon filets lightly with salt.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and once hot, add salmon skin side down.
- Cook salmon 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium high, flip salmon over and sear another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove skin from salmon and divide among 6 places.
- Spoon citrus salad over top and serve immediately.