Weeknight Tomato Sauce
From the kitchen of Chef Tse
Makes about 3 cups
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound bulk chicken sausage or two uncooked chicken sausage links, casing removed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes, low salt or unsalted if possible
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil and once hot, add onion and garlic.
- Sauté until onion becomes translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Remove onions and garlic from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining teaspoon of oil.
- Once hot, add chicken sausage and break up with back of a wooden spoon. Sear until nicely brown on all sides, about 4 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with red wine, increase heat to medium high and simmer until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Add tomatoes, their juices and onions.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, add oregano and stir to combine.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon over pasta and serve hot.