This recipe courtesy of Chef Leather Storrs of Nobel Rot. Serves 4.
- 1 pound beef tenderloin
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups mache
- Garnishes : chive buds (28-30), grated parmesan cheese, hard-boiled egg yolk, croutons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp capers, minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated finely
- 6-8 dashes of fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season tenderloin aggressively with salt and papper. Sear it in canola oil on very high heat. Be sure to brown all sides well. Remove from the pan and chill immediately for at least 1 hour.
- For dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, sherry vinegar, dijon mustard, capers, garlic, and fish sauce in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble salad, slice beef thinly and place between two sheets of parchment or plastic wrap. Pound until thin.
- Arrange pounded beef slices on a plate. Drizzle with olive oil and season with fancy salt and freshly-ground pepper.
- Toss arugula and mache with a little dressing. Season with fancy salt and freshly-ground pepper.
- Mound greens in the middle of the beff; sprinkle with one or more of the garnishes.