Classic Chocolate Mousse
From the kitchen of Chef Tse
- 6 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1 tablespoons pieces
- 4 large eggs, separated and whites at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold whipping cream
- Place chocolate in a medium stainless steel bowl and set over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Stir once or twice until chocolate has melted.
- Remove bowl from water and whisk in butter 1 tablespoon at a time, waiting until each piece has melted before adding the next.
- Whisk in egg yolks one at a time and finally add sugar.
- In a medium bowl whip egg whites to soft peaks.
- Fold in 1/3rd of whites into chocolate until well incorporated.
- Add remaining whites and fold gently until only a few white streaks remain.
- In a small bowl, whip cream to soft peaks.
- Fold in 1/3rd of cream into chocolate until well incorporated.
- Add remaining cream and fold gently until no white streaks remain.
- Divide among dessert glasses, cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours.
- Serve with additional whipped cream, fresh berries and chocolate shavings if desired.