Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
From the Kitchen of Chef Tse
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- In a small bowl, dissolve molasses in hot water.
- In another medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat until incorporated.
- Add 1/3rd of the flour mixture and beat well.
- Add 1/2 of the molasses and beat well.
- Repeat with remaining flour and molasses, alternating until everything is well mixed.
- Line a 1/2 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Divide batter evenly among cups.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Using a butter knife, spread frosting over cupcakes.