The Real Salade Niçoise
Prepare everything the night before and this makes a great salad for a picnic in the park. When eating the salad, make sure you get a little bit of everything on your fork because the flavors work so well together.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 medium cucumber slices, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 large basil leaves, chopped
- 20 pitted Niçoise olives
- 4 ounces good quality tuna packed in oil, drained
- 4 good-quality anchovy fillets
- Salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic.
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Gently lower eggs into water and cook 11 minutes.
- Drain eggs and cover with cold water.
- When eggs are cool enough, crack and peel them.
- Slice eggs into quarters and set aside.
To Assemble Salad:
- mound lettuce in middle of two plates.
- Place tomato wedges and eggs decoratively around edge of plate.
- Sprinkle cucumbers, green pepper, green onion, and olives over lettuce.
- Top with basil, tuna and anchovy fillets.
- Spoon dressing over top and serve.