Cherry Tomato Pie by Chadwick Boyd
prep 30 min. bake 50 min.
oven 400/375°F stand 1 hr.
6 strips bacon
1 15-oz. package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust
2⁄3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
3⁄4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
4 cups cherry tomatoes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
1⁄2 tsp. black pepper
1⁄2 8-oz. package cream cheese softened
1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large skillet cook bacon until just done but not crisp.
Transfer to paper towels; drain. Reserve 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings in skillet.
2. Let piecrust stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, stack piecrusts. Roll to a 121⁄2- to 13-inch circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Fold the pastry inward to scallop the edges. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil; bake 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes more. Sprinkle 1⁄2 cup of the cheese over the piecrust. Place half the bacon around the edge of crust. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
3. Meanwhile, cook onion in reserved bacon drippings over medium heat until tender. Drain drippings; set aside.
4. Halve 2 cups of the cherry tomatoes, leaving the remaining 2 cups whole. Place
tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, 2 Tbsp. of the basil, salt, and ¼ tsp of the pepper, stir to combine. In a separate bowl beat together cream cheese, mayonnaise, egg yolk, cooked onion, lemon peel, and remaining Parmesan, basil, and pepper. Spoon cream cheese mixture into piecrust. Top with tomato mixture. Nestle the remaining bacon slices among the tomatoes. Gently press tomatoes into cream cheese mixture.
5. Place pie on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until tomatoes just begin to brown, about 35 minutes. (Loosely cover pie with foil if edges begin to brown too quickly.)
Let stand 60 minutes.
6. Top with chopped leaf lettuce and serve with lemon wedges.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving 432 cal, 30 g fat, 59, chol,
714 mg sodium, 30 g carb, 1 g fiber, 8 g pro.