• 6 cups homemade chicken or vegetable stock
• 1 inch of freshly grated ginger root
• 1 small to medium sized butternut or acorn squash, seeded, peeled and diced
• 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 Tbsp red palm oil (found in the oils section at New Seasons or Whole Foods)
• 1 medium purple onion, peeled and chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
• 1/4 cup white wine (pinot gris works well for cooking)
• 2 Pears - any variety - sliced off of core
• 1/3 cup full fat organic coconut milk
• Sea Salt & Pepper to taste (about 1 to 2 tsp each)
• Sour cream or mascarpone cheese (optional)
Over high heat put the stock into a big soup pot and add the ginger, squash, potato and cinnamon and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
Saute onion and garlic in red palm oil for 5 minutes over medium heat until soft and gently browned. Add the wine and pears and cook for another 5 minutes. Add to soup.
After all vegetables are soft and cooked through (test the squash and potato for doneness) then remove the cinnamon stick, add the coconut milk, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Blend in a blender in small batches or use an immersion blender in the pot to puree all ingredients into a rich, creamy blend. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream or mascarpone cheese with a sprig of beet root or parsley for contrast. Serve warm.