Quail Tikka Masala served with Radish and Cucumber Raita featuring Liberté Greek Plain Yogurt
With Chef Vitaly Paley
For quail: Makes 4 main courses or 8 appetizer portions
3 teaspoons coriander seeds
3 teaspoons cumin seeds
4 teaspoons of ground turmeric
2 teaspoons of garam masala
6 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
5 teaspoons of finely grated peeled ginger
4 containers of Liberté Greek Plain yogurt
Large pinch of sea salt
8 semi-boneless quails
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion peeled and thinly sliced
8 cardamom pods, smashed
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 can whole peeled tomatoes
2 cups coconut milk
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more sprigs for garnish
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more leaves for garnish
1/3 cup fresh mint, plus more leaves for garnish
1 bunch French Breakfast radishes, cleaned, finely diced. Radish greens finely chopped
1 small English cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
1 bunch green onion, washed, roots trimmed and thinly sliced
2 containers of Liberté Greek Plain yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine coriander and cumin in a small sauté pan and toast over high heat until fragrant.
2. Transfer to a spice grinder, add ground turmeric and garam masala, and grind till very fine. Transfer into a bowl and mix with garlic and ginger.
3. Transfer half the spices into a different bowl and mix with 2 containers of Liberté Greek Plain yogurt and salt.
4. Coat the quail thoroughly, cover and refrigerate.
5. Heat the olive oil in a 6-quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion,cardamom and red pepper flakes. Cook stirring until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the remaining spices and cook stirring for another 5 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a boil and cook stirring over medium heat until flavor concentrates, about 15 minutes.
8. A dd coconut milk, bring to a boil and cook stirring often until the sauce thickens, about 45 minutes.
9. Preheat the grill to manufacturers’ specifications. Grill the quail on both sides over very high heat until well browned, about 5 minutes per side.
10. Transfer the quail into a sauce. Gently stir in the chopped herbs and remaining 2 containers of Liberté Greek Plain yogurt. Bring the whole thing to a simmer, and do not boil.
11. Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with herb leaves and serve immediately.
Serving Suggestion: Accompany dish with Radish and Cucumber Yogurt Raita, grilled flatbread or white rice.
1. In a medium-sized bowl mix the radishes, radish greens, cucumber, chopped mint and green onion with Liberté Greek Plain yogurt and lemon juice.
2. Season with salt and pepper to taste, wrap tightly and chill until ready to serve. Raita can be made up to 2 hours in advance.
Chef Vitaly Paley is the Chef & Owner of Paley’s Place, Imperial and Portland Penny Diner. James Beard Award-winning chef and noted cookbook author. Has appeared as a victor on Food Network’s Iron Chef America.