Banana Nut Torte
You won’t believe this elegant dessert is almost fat free. The extra light olive oil is the heart healthy star that adds special moistness to the cake, then hides so you’d never know. Over-ripe bananas never tasted so decadent.
- * 2 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra light olive oil
- 1/3 cup nonfat sour cream
- **2/3 cups nonfat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 ¼ cups mashed ripe banana (2 good sized bananas)
Cream Filling (Recipe below)
Sugar glazed walnuts for garnish (optional)-(Recipe below)
2 Tablespoons nonfat caramel ice cream syrup (optional)
- 2 - 8 oz. tubs non fat whipped topping
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix together to blend
Sugar Glazed Walnuts
- 4 cups walnut halves or pieces
- 1 egg white (3 Tablespoons)
- 1 cup sugar
Directrions for Walnuts:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk or beat egg white till very foamy, but not stiff. Add walnuts and stir to mix well. Add sugar and mix till all are well-coated.
- Turn onto lined cookie sheet and spread evenly.
- Put into heated oven and bake 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Nuts are finished when the coating pretty dry.
- Cool and put in airtight container till ready to use.
- You won’t need all of this for this recipe. You can reduce the recipe or do as I do and reserve the leftover nuts for use in a salad, on top of your morning oatmeal or to top another dessert.
*To substitute all purpose flour for cake flour cup for cup, you can put 2 tablespoons of corn starch in the bottom of a 1 cup measuring cup and then fill it with all purpose flour to the top. One other method is to simply reduce the measurement of flour by 2 tablespoons. The first way is a little better, but the other works also.
**To make a substitute for the buttermilk, put 1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vinegar in the bottom of a 2/3 cup measuring cup and then fill it to the top with nonfat milk. Stir to mix and then add as directed in the recipe.
Directions for Cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9 inch layer pans with parchment and spray lightly, or spray pans and dust with flour.
- Measure all ingredients -- except glazed walnuts -- into large mixing bowl. Blend ½ minute on low, scraping sides to blend; then beat on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping sides several times.
- Divide evenly into pans. Bake 25-35 minutes, depending on your individual oven, till wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes and invert on rack to cool completely.
Split each layer in half. Place one split layer on serving plate and spread with ¼ of cream filling. Repeat with remaining 3 layers, ending with cream layer.
Sprinkle top of cake with sugar glazed walnuts .
Refrigerate till ready to serve. Before serving, drizzle over the top layer with thin lines of caramel syrup.