Laure Redmond, self-esteem coach and author of Feel Good Naked, joined us to talk about the things we can learn from our pets:
When we change our perspectives, we open the door to new possibilities. Pets are wonderful guides for teaching us how to shift our stressful, anxiety-induced lives towards a happier, more balanced reality. Here are my favorite pet inspired life lessons:
- Live in the moment: Animals don’t regret the past or worry about the future. Learning to appreciate and focus on what’s truly happening in the Here and Now supports a richness of being alive that the animal kingdom has mastered.
- Be direct in your communication: Great relationships, no matter what the species, begin with clear and consistent communication.
- Don’t hold grudges: When disagreements or conflicts arise, animals deal with it immediately and then move on, thus avoiding negative feelings that tend to multiply and escalate out of control.
- Celebrate each and every day: For a dog, every morning is Christmas morning. Every walk is the best walk. Every meal is the best meal. Every game is the best game. Take time every day to rejoice in the many gifts that are hidden in the ordinary events of your own life.
- Trust your instincts: Animals don’t care about words, they recognize that what’s really going on in any interaction is beneath the surface. By paying attention to nonverbal cues such as body language and energy, we can learn more about our loved ones and ourselves.
- Live with purpose and curiosity: All animals – including humans – have an innate need to work for food and water. Ask yourself how you can contribute more to your job, family and the world around you.
- Nurture a balanced life: Just as you would with a dog, offer yourself exercise, discipline and affection every single day.
For more information, visit Laure's website.