Recycle Your Old Fridge for Cash!
Lizzie Rubado of Energy Trust of Oregon told us about their free program to recycle old refrigerators.
• Fridges and freezers built in the 1990s or earlier can guzzle up to $200 a year in energy costs. That’s a lot compared to today’s more energy-efficient models that on average cost only $40 a year to run.
• To help utility customers unplug and save, Energy Trust of Oregon offers free refrigerator and freezer recycling, along with a $50 cash incentive in exchange for the unit and free pick up.
• Recycling an older fridge is a fast, easy improvement that can really make a difference on the energy bill and the monthly budget – especially for those households with a second fridge in the garage.
• Since August 2008, more than 40,000 refrigerators and freezers have been recycled through Energy Trust’s fridge recycling service, helping Oregonians save more than $2 million in energy costs or enough energy to power nearly 2,000 average Oregon homes for a year.
• To schedule a free pick up, call 1-866-444-8907 or visit www.energytrust.org.