Self-esteem Coach Laure Redmond, author of Feel Good Naked, joined us with her eight crucial agreements to make with YOURSELF right now:
- When you mean “no”, don’t say yes. Look for at least one opportunity a day to use your voice. Offer your opinion during a meeting, tell your partner what you need to feel more supported or set limits with a friend who drains your energy.
- Nurture your ties to your tribe. If you don’t have one, create a community that you can belong to. Modern life can be isolating. When you have a tribe, you have a circle that you are a part of. Its members – loved ones, friends, or neighbors - can be a source of support, caring, guidance, and companionship.
- Live simply and deliberately. Consciously choose what you will allow into your being. Be judicious about what you read, watch, and listen to.
- Stay aware and learn as much as you can about your emotions, reactions, likes, dislikes, dreams, and fears. Having a solid sense of self gives you a firm foundation for living in this world.
- You really ARE what you eat ~ pay attention to what goes in your mouth.
- Be Here NOW. Don’t spend precious time lamenting the past or worrying about the future, since neither exists in this present moment.
- See the larger picture. Remember the way that you choose to live is not the only way to live. Widen your perspective through research, travel, and discussion.
- Make time for stillness, silence, and solitude. We are often “on the go” and unable to relax. Being alone and making time for quiet will help you stay in touch with yourself, while also reducing stress, fear and anxiety.
For more on improving your mind-body health, visit Laure's website. Also, pick up the August 2011 SHAPE magazine and check out Laure's tips on page 32.