There are many ways to choose and create a happy life (smiley faces and inspirational posters not required). Some happy people may appear outwardly cheerful or transparently serene and others may appear busy. In other words, we all have the potential to be happy, each in our own way.
Self-esteem coach Laure Redmond, author of Feel Good Naked, joined us with easy ways to create a roadmap to your own happy life:
- If only I were rich ... famous ... beautiful ... According to scientific research, what we believe would make a huge difference in our lives actually makes only a small difference. Instead of obsessing about a larger bank account or breasts, put your time and focus into improving your self-esteem by learning how to re-direct your mental energy.
- Start telling the truth every day Even if your voice shakes.
- Prescription drugs aren't always the best or only solution Before swallowing that magic little pill, explore all of your non-prescription options.
- Don't hold grudges or dip into the past to be miserable in the present Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
- Avoid fad diets Fad diets don't work long term and often restrict healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains or fat. Cultivate a simple set of daily habits you can sustain for the rest of your life and make sure they are based on scientific principles.
- Invest in heart-to-heart communication Technology can't compete or beat real conversations.
- Your house defines your mind-set If your home is chaotic, your head is chaotic ~ ask yourself what you need to let go of in order to open up space for new energy, ideas and opportunities.
- Take a 24 hour (or longer) "Time-Out" When you feel frustrated, angry or impatient so you can settle down and think more clearly before making decisions or comments.
- Sensuality is ageless Honor your sensuality by exploring sights, sounds, scents and textures that make you feel alive and connected to your body & mind.
- Celebrate Everything!
For more on improving your mind-body health, visit Laure's website.