We put your household hints to the test to find out which work and which fall flat:
- To clean a dirty iron plate, mix equal parts white distilled vinegar and salt in a small bowl. Rub solution on the cool iron surface to remove dark or burned stains. Wipe clean with a damp cloth before using.
- What to do with those socks you can’t find the mates for? Turn it into a heating pad. Fill with a few cups of rice or dried beans. Tie a knot in the end of the sock or sew it up. Microwave for 1-2 minutes whenever you need a heating pad for a sore neck, back, arm or leg.
- To keep electronics clean longer, after dusting your electronics, rub them with a used fabric softener dryer sheet. They will repel dust. You will still need to dust them at least twice per month to extend the life of your electronics. Works great on computers.
- To make perfect pancakes, use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle or pan—no fuss, no muss and perfectly shaped pancakes every time.
- To remove an adhesive band-aid, blow hot air from the hair dryer at the bandage to soften the adhesive so you can easy off the bandage. Be sure no to put the dryer too close, so you don’t burn yourself or your child.
- To keep your hands warm in winter, especially when working outside in the cold weather-- put on a pair of rubber surgical gloves under your wool gloves. I did this while shoveling snow last winter from my driveway. It took me two hours but my fingers never got cold! Would work great at a football game too!
- Here’s a new use for pantyhose that are past their prime—use them for drying sweaters! Put the pantyhose in the neck of the sweater and run the legs of the pantyhose through the arms. Now you can hang the sweater up very nicely and let it dry on the line by clipping the clothespins to the pantyhose instead of the sweater. This eliminates any "clip" marks and helps the sweater dry faster.
- To keep coffee filters from collapsing and releasing grounds into your coffee, dampen the basket before putting in the coffee filter, then dampen again before putting in the coffee. This will make the filter adhere to the basket and it will not collapse during brewing.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.