Today we had Bonnie and Preston Crawford on, a couple who has lost 170 pounds each. Here are some tips regarding weight loss:
- Eat breakfast everyday (Starting the day off with low glycemic foods like Special K cereal or yogurt help you eat less the rest of the day)
- Eat more frequent small meals (We eat 6 to 8 times a day)
- Be assertive about what you need to be successful (Whether in a restaurant or at home with your spouse, it's important to stand up for yourself and ask for the things you need ie "don't bring the bread basket" or "please keep your candy somewhere other than at home".
- Pick one change and practice it (Losing weight can be overwhelming. Each week or month pick one thing to focus on improving and get good at it before moving on to a new change. This could be drinking 8 glasses of water a day or exercising 30 min or more 5x a week).
- Cooking isn't a requirement (Preston and I don't cook at all. I've found that people often associate losing weight with becoming a gourmet chef and the average person doesn't have a lot of time to devote to food prep. Use your microwave to steam veggies, eat fresh foods that are already prepared, even a bowl of cereal can be a great quick meal).
Instead of a Grande Caramel Frappuccino with whipped cream, choose a Tall Light Caramel Frappuccino and save 250 calories. Not ready to switch to light? Order a Tall and skip the whipped cream and you can still save 160 calories.
Instead of a large bucket of buttered popcorn at the movies or Blazer game, grab a box or 2 of Fun Sized Cereal (Lucky Charms or Fruit Loops are good) for a savings of more than 1400 calories.
Ask for your fast food sandwiches without cheese and high fat condiments like mayonnaise. Instead look for condiments like avocado (good fat), a vinaigrette or mustard. This can save you between 200 and 300 calories per sandwich.
Replace your current bread with a high fiber cracked or sprouted wheat bread. These breads are denser and as a result you'll eat fewer slices and feel just as full.