Todd Wilbur's Secret Recipes
By AM Northwest Staff
Chili's Salsa Clone
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons canned diced jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
- Combine diced tomatoes, jalapenos, lime juice and spices in a food processor. Run food processor on high speed for just a few moments until the tomoatoes have been nearly pureed, yet still chunky. The jalapenos should be chopped into visible minced bits. Be careful not to over-process.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the sliced onion. Stir well, cover and store overnight for the flavors to properly develop.
Makes 2 cups
The Cheesecake Factory White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake Clone
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs or 20 crumbled Oreo cookies (with fulling removed)
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 8-ounce pkgs. cream cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped into chunks
- 2 ounces shaved white chocolate (for garnish-- optional)
- Canned whipped cream (for garnish-- optional)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place a large pan or oven-safe skillet filled with about 1/2-inch of water into the oven while it preheats. This will be your water bath.
- Combine the raspberry preserves with 1/4 cup water in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 1/2 minutes on high in your microwave. Stir until smooth. Strain to remove the raspberry seeds (toss 'em out), then let the strained preserves sit to cool, then put the bowl in the refrigerator until later.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (or crush 20 Oreo cookie wafer-- with the filling scraped out-- in a resealable plastic bag) into a medium bowl. Mix in 1/3 cup melted margarine. Press the crumbs into a 9-inch spring form pan that has been lined on the bottom and side with parchment paper. Use the bottom of a drinking glass to press the crumb mixture flat into the bottom of the pan and about 2/3 the way up the side. Wrap a large piece of foil around the bottom of the pan to keep the cheesecake dry when placed in the water bath. Put the crust in your freezer until the filliing is done.
- Use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese with the sugar, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed for a couple minutes or until the ingredients are smooth and creamy. Be sure to scarpe down the sides of the bowl. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl and then add them to the cream cheese mixture. Blend the mixture just enough to integrate the eggs.
- Remove the crust from the freezer and sprinkle 4 ounces of white chocolate chunks on the bottom of the crust. Pour half of the cream cheese filling into the crust. Drizzle the raspberry preserves over the surface of the filling. Use a butter knife to swirl the raspberry into the cream cheese. Just a couple of passes is fine, you don't to blend the raspberry and cream cheese together too much. Pour the other half of the filling into the crust.
- Carefully place the cheesecake into the water bath in the oven. Bake for 12 minutes at 475 degrees, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the top of the cheesecake turns a light brown or tan color. Remove the cheesecake from the oven to cool. when the cheesecake is cool, use the foil from the bottom to cover the cheesecake and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle the entire top surface of cheesecake with 2 ounces of shaved white chocolate. To serve, slice the cheesecake into 12 equal portions. Apply a pile of canned whipped cream to the top of each slice and serve.
Makes 12 servings
PF Chang's Chicken in Soothing Lettuce Wraps Clone
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinese hot mustard powder
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup diced straw mushrooms
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 cup diced water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1 cup fried maifun sticks
- 4-5 iceberg lettuce cups
- Make the special sauce (for spooning over your lettuce wraps) by dissolving the 1/4 cup sugar in 1/2 cup water in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons katchup, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon seasame oil. Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you're ready to serve the lettuce wraps. Combine the 2 teaspoons water with the Chinese hot mustard powder and set this aside as well. Eventually you will add your desired measurement of Chinese mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over your lettuce wraps. In the restaurant chain, waiters prepare the sauce at your table the same way, depanding on your desired heat level. More about that later.
- Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
- To prpare the filling for your lettuce wraps, bring 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan. Saute the chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done. Remove chicken from the pan to cool. Keep the oil in the pan.
- As the chicken cools be sure your water chestnuts and mushrooms have been diced to about the size of small peas.
- When you can handle the chicken, hack it up with a sharp knife to that no piece is bigger than a dime. With the wok or pan on high heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken, garlic, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan. Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then spoon it into a dish lined with a bed of fried rice noodles (maifun). (see note below)
- Serve chicken with a side of lettuce cups. Make these lettuce cups by slicing the top off a head of iceberg lettuce right through the middle of the head. Pull your lettuce cups off of the outside of this slice.
- Make the special sauce at the table by adding your desired measurement of mustard and chili sauce to the special sauce blend: 1 teaspoon each of mustard and chili sauce for mild, 2 for medium and 3 teaspoons for hot. Stir well.
- Assemble lettuce wraps by spooning filling into a lettuce cup, adding special sauce over the top, folding it up like a taco, then munch down with reckless abandon.
Serves 2-3 as an appetizer
NOTE: To fry maifun-- follow the directions on the package, usually by pouring 2 inches of vegetable oil into a pan and heating to around 400 degrees. Add maifun, a little at a time, and when it floats to the top remove it to a paper towl. The rapid noodle expansion is actually quite exciting.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.