Green Gear for Babies and Kids
Green Baby Gear Segment
LilaGuide.com Portland Editor Lauren Allen
Why should some moms consider going green? Why are some moms going green?
- During pregnancy, moms are constantly thinking about what they’re eating, whether they should get manis/pedis, if they can have one drink or not, etc. But once baby comes, they might not necessarily realize how many toxins a new baby might be exposed to
- The truth is that elements such as paint, furniture, carpeting, bedding, toys, etc. that are around a baby can not only have a negative effect on your baby’s health, but the environment too
- Going green is not just a "trend" – more people are choosing to live eco-friendly, and that includes baby too
- Halle Berry is a recent celebrity who has stated she wants to be an eco-conscious mom
What is the price difference between raising a green baby and a non-green baby?
- This really depends on how you decide to go green. If you choose to strictly buy eco-friendly products, some items can cost more but parents should keep in mind that the quality may be better by going green
- There are definitely cost-cutting ways to go green – strictly breastfeeding, using cloth diapers that can be reused (instead of purchasing disposable diapers all the time), and making your own baby food
So you’ve brought in some of your favorite green baby picks?
Pixel Organic "Lovelines" Crib Set
- 220 thread count bedding is made with 100% Certified Organic cotton with no pesticides or herbicides.
- The bumper and comforter are filled with REFILL – a recycled PET (beverage bottle) fill that emits zero measurable VOCs (volatile organic compounds – a toxin that can be emitted by off-gassing from a product; over-exposure can be harmful) and helps eliminate waste
- The low impact printing process is approved by the Organic Trade Association
- They limit the amount of water used in the process, and don’t use any metals
- Pixel Organic Organic "Lovelines" Crib Set includes a reversible comforter, reversible bumper, one fitted sheet and one crib skirt
- Available online and independent boutique stores throughout the country
Green to Grow BPA-Free Baby Bottles
- Green to Grow is a new company that sells BPA-free baby bottles that are made out of PES plastic, and have nitrosamine-free silicone nipples
- Nitrosamines are a potentially harmful contaminant found in many rubber nipples
- They come in 100% recycled packaging and are printed in soy inks
- Eco-friendly parents should consider making purchases at companies that are also committed to the environment - Green to Grow is committed to environmental awareness and donates to 1% for the Planet
Seventh Generation Chlorine-Free Baby Wipes and Baby Laundry Detergent
- Seventh Generation has eco-friendly laundry detergent and baby wipes
- Chlorine-Free Baby Wipes
- Unlike most conventional baby wipes, these Seventh Generation baby wipes aren’t bleached with chlorine and don’t contain alcohol, fragrance, or synthetic ingredients that may irritate baby’s skin
- These wipes are moistened with natural aloe vera, Vitamin E, and water to cleanse and moisturize gently and naturally
- Baby Laundry Liquid Detergent This natural detergent won’t leave harmful residues and is perfect for getting out tough stains without irritating baby’s sensitive skin
- Happy Baby has a frozen baby line with eight different packages using all organic grains, veggies, fruits and meats. They have a bunch of delicious blends for babies 6 months and older, including:
- Smarter Squash & Wiser Apple – rich in Vitamin A
- Grrreat Greens – high in calcium and Vitamin C, and a good source of iron
- The food comes frozen in an ice cube tray which mimics the homemade process for you to use only what you need – no wastage and the freezing locks in the nutrition, taste, and texture of real fresh foods
- Supported by Dr. Sears, Happy Baby also has a cereal line called HAPPYBELLIES that is all organic and has DHA added for brain and eye development (this comes from a natural plant source)
Happy Baby is the only baby food in the country to incorporate probiotics, which strengthens the digestive system and helps to defend against the development of food allergies, asthma, and even eczema
Sckoon Organic Cotton Toys & Clothing -
- Ecofriendly clothing is huge right now and Sckoon is a company that makes really hip, designer eco-friendly clothing for babies. They’re made with 100% certified organic cotton, and dyed with metal-free, low-impact dyes
- Sckoon Organic Cotton Baby Body Sage
- Sckoon Organic Cotton Baby Knot Cap Sage
- Sckoon Organic Baby Cap & Kimono Gift Set Bamboo Green
- Babies tend to carry their favorite toy around everywhere, so why not make sure that perfect first doll is eco-friendly too!
- We love Sckoon’s Organic Cotton Dolls! They’re 100% certified fair trade organic cotton inside and out (even the thread, tags, and stuffing are organic!), and dyed with metal-free dyes, making it super-safe for baby’s tender skin
- Sckoon Organic Cotton Happy Lion Doll
- Sckoon Organic Cotton Baby Ha-ha Hero Plush Toy Doll
- All of Sckoon’s products are made at environmentally conscious fair trade factories and are certified by Demeter (an organic certification board)
California Baby Super Sensitive Bath Products
- California Baby is an all natural baby care line whose products contain organic and sustainably grown ingredients. Their products don’t use any phthalates which are found in synthetic fragrances—California Baby only uses pure essential oils to scent their products. Many essential oils do not need pesticides or fertilizers, so are generally organic and/or sustainably grown
- Plus, they use HDPE bottles and packaging because they’re phthalate free and highly recyclable. And they don’t test on animals
- They’ve created a Super Sensitive line that has the gentlest, mildest and soothing ingredients for babies who are hypersensitive to chemicals and fragrances. For those with sensitive skin, the chemicals and fragrances in bath & beauty products can cause irritation, burning, and redness, leaving little ones cranky
- The California Baby’s Super Sensitive Line is perfect for babies with allergies, eczema, and other skin conditions since they’re formulated to avoid common allergens—the products don’t contain sulfate-based cleansers, nut oils, gluten, soy, oat, dairy, or synthetic additives. It’s also a naturally scentless formula making it super-safe for sensitive skin
- Super Sensitive Shampoo & Bodywash
- Super Sensitive Hair Conditioner
- Super Sensitive Bubble Bath
For more information on Green Baby Gear, contact Lilaguide.com Portland Editor, Lauren Allen, at Lila Guide.
for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.